Camping Trailer Terms (and Flagstaff Nomenclature )
- 3-way fridge - "3-way" refers to the power sources available: Propane, 110V, 12V. In a campground with power hook-ups the 110V is the easiest way to run the fridge. If no power is available the fridge will run on propane. While on the road, if the tow vehicle has a hot lead in the plug, the fridge can run on 12V.
- Axle weight - The portion of a trailer's total weight supported by the axle/tires.
- Box size - Literally the box a camper is made of. The box size does not include storage trunks or storage decks; the interior living space (without the beds) from front to back is the "box size."
- Brake controller - An electrical device installed near the dash of a tow vehicle that sends an electrical signal to the electric brakes of a trailer; it activates and regulates a trailer's electric brake system.
- BTU - British Thermal Unit, a unit of energy equal to ~252 calories. A 19,000 BTU furnace is rated to produce 19,000 BTUs per hour. For comparison, burning one pound of air-dried wood produces around 7,000 BTU.
- Dry weight - The total weight of a trailer without water, propane, or camping supplies. The product of adding axle weight and tongue weight.
- Gaucho - Nobody knows for sure. Wiktionary didn't help much . All joking aside, a gaucho is a sofa (consisting of cushions on a board foundation) that pulls out to make a bed.
- Hitch weight / tongue weight - The portion of a trailer's total weight supported by the tow vehicle's ball/hitch. A hitch weight of 10% or more of a trailer's total weight allows stable towing.
- Hot lead - (pronounced "leed") Also, a charging circuit; a hot lead runs from a tow vehicle's battery to the wiring plug. This allows a tow vehicle to charge the trailer's battery while in transit (and also while on site without having to hook up jumper cables).
- GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - The maximum weight that a trailer's tires and hitch (combined) can hold. The GVWR less the dry weight equals the cargo capacity available for water, propane, and camping gear.
- Lift-system - The system used to raise and lower a fold-down camper's roof.
- Open length - The total length of a fold-down trailer when open including beds and storage decks, if applicable. Some campsites have length restrictions so open length is a good number to know when making campsite reservations.
- Tongue weight / hitch weight - The portion of a trailer's total weight supported by the tow vehicle's ball/hitch. A tongue weight of 10% or more of a trailer's total weight allows stable towing.
- Travel length - The length of the trailer when closed; measured from tongue/hitch to the rear bumper/spare tire. This is a good number to know for storage lot/garage purposes.
In general the model number relates to the camper size and the number of people the camper is supposed to sleep. For example, the model 208 is 20' long when open and sleeps 8 people (technically). This is not always the case, though. For example, the 207 is 20' long and is also supposed to sleep 8 people but since the name "208" is already taken, "207" it is.
This also relates only to the MAC Series. For Classic campers the numbers are reversed where the 823D sleeps 8 people and is 23' long (and "D" stands for "slide-out dinette "). Keep in mind these model numbers do not always relate to the size or capacity of a camper--please see the camper's specifications for those figures.
- BH - Bike Hauler. These models have a 2' metal deck on the front of the camper. Used for storing bicycles, generators, firewood, toolboxes, folding chairs, etc.
- Classic - This is Flagstaff's upgraded line of campers.
- D - Slide-out dinette. A model number ending in "D" (not LTD) has a slide-out dinette. Note: not all campers with slide-out dinettes end in D (like the BR and HW series).
- DD - Double Dinette. This T-Series designation denotes the only T-Series camper with two dinette tables (T12DDST)
- HW - High Wall. All High Wall Series models use the "HW" prefix.
- KS - Kitchen Slide-out. The HW27KS has a sink and stove that slides out from the box to provide an outdoor kitchen facility.
- LT - "Lotza Trailer". This is a Roberts Sales-specific designation for the 206LT. It doesn't mean anything itself, it just let's everyone know it's an upgraded version of the 206LTD.
- LTD - Limited. This is Flagstaff's entry-level series. "Limited" refers to the features, not "limited edition."
- MAC - Most Affordable Camper. This is Flagstaff's main line of campers.
- RB - Rear Bunk. This T Series camper has a rear bunk instead of a dinette or sofa (T12RB).
- SC - Shower/Commode. These models have a shower and toilet (or cassette toilet) inside the camper. Note: not all shower/cassette toilet models end in "SC."
- ST - Storage trunk. All models that end in "ST" have a storage trunk on the front (but not all models with a storage trunk necessarily end in "ST")
- T - Tipi (or triangle?) - This is Flagstaff's A-frame series, which, from the side, looks like a tipi or a triangle.
- TH - Toy Hauler. This denotes a camper with a toy hauler storage deck on the front, though not all campers with toy-hauler decks end in "TH."
- TSC - Toy Hauler/Shower/Commode. The BR28TSC has both a toy hauler and a shower/cassette toilet.
- w/sh - with shower. We use this suffix for the three 228 versions that can have an optional shower/cassette toilet installed at the factory (228 w/ sh, 228BH w/sh, 228D w/sh).
We know some of these terms can be confusing when they are not applied consistently, but if all the features on a given trailer were included in the model name we could end up with a model called the "HWSCTHFSDRB" and that gets a bit windy. So, here's a quick chart of only the features listed above for each model (other features that vary by series are listed in the Series Comparison):
|Model||Two Tables||Double Dinette||1 Sofa/ 1 Dinette||Slide-out Dinette||Kitchen Slide-out||Shower/ Commode||Storage Trunk||Bike Hauler||Toy Hauler|
|Model||Two Tables||Double Dinette||1 Sofa/ 1 Dinette||Slide-out Dinette||Kitchen Slide-out||
|Storage Trunk||Bike Hauler||Toy Hauler|
Privacy © 2009-2015 Roberts Sales. All rights reserved.